Wednesday 17 December 2014

You have 2 read this Part I

I'd be pleased to recommend Gil as one of your tour guides. There's probably no one who knows the Tapajos/Amazon/Santarem area better than Gil. I first met him in 2006 or 2007, when I was writing a nonfiction account of the historical rubber theft by British adventurer Henry Wickham; he is an expert on natural history, and often seemed to anticipate my questions or investigative directions. The resultant book, The Thief at the End of the World (published by Viking), went on to be named one of Time magazine's Top Ten Books of 2008, and I lay a lot of that credit at Gil's feet. Since then, he's gone on to guide for at least two European TV film crews, a Brazilian filmmaker, and another American writer who wrote the book Fordlandia. I recommended him to two of those outfits, and they were more than happy with the final results. I'm thinking in time of coming back to the Tapajos to do a long book about the gold rush that occurred far to the south from the 1950s to the 1990s, and Gil would be a necessary part of that research. He's a real professional, and gets the job done. I recommend him highly. Feel free to call or write if you have any other questions.

No comments: